3/4 Cup of raw almonds
1/2 cup of rolled oats
2 tsp of flaxseeds
1/4 cup of Sunflower seeds. Optional. you can use any other seeds.
1/4 heaping tsp of pumpkin pie spice
2 cups of pitted and dried dates
2 Teaspoons of Coconut Oil
1/2 cup of dried cranberries or dried cherries (keep on the side to press into mixture afterwards)
1 cup of roughly chopped raw almonds (keep on the side to press into mixture afterwards)
NOTE: For the dry ingredients, after the 3/4 cup of almonds you may add any amount of oats as long as your dry ingredients add up to 1-1/2 cups. You can add more sunflower seeds to make up the volume for example.
NOTE: This recipe works best using the new Vitamix wide bottomed/low profile 64oz container. If you have the traditional taller 64oz container use about 1/2 the total amount of ingredients for starters.
(1) Add all ingredients to the Vitamix container and secure the lid
(2) Start on Variable Speed 4
(3) Turn machine on and pulse multiple times to grind up mixture
(4) Turn machine off
(5) Start on Variable speed 1 and slowly increase to Variable 10 and watch the mixture whirlpool until it begins to slow down to a crawl.
(6) Use your Tamper to move the ingredients from the sides onto the blades. Do not press into the blades. You may use a spatula to scrape the ingredients as well. Total mixing time should be 1 minute.
If you have the Dry Blade container roughly chop 1 cup of raw almonds on Variable speed 4
(7) Drop the dough-like mixture from the container into a mixing bowl and add the chopped almonds and dried cranberries. Use your hands to mix the almonds and cranberries into the dough-like mixture.
(8) On a cookie sheet lay a large piece of parchment paper and place the mixture onto the parchment paper. Flatten out into a square shape and fold parchment paper to cover the flattened out mixture.
(9) Place mixture into the refrigerator while still on the cookie sheet for 1 hour.
(10) Remove parchment paper and cut mixture into 4" X 1" sized bars.
Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.